Henry Charles Frederick

 

 


Henry Charles Frederick was born at Nellore, Madras on the 10th of August 1838.His parents had been married for two years and his mother, who had been born in Wales, was now 18. Although he was known as Henry to his family, he was ‘Chuck’ to his friends. Frederick Price inscribed a copy of his book to ‘Chuck’.

In March 1843, when he was five he went with his parents and two sisters on a sailing ship to England and I have no record of them returning with their parents to India. However in 1851 the girls, Fanny and Kate were staying with Aunt Frances Charlotte and Henry was at school in London. Henry was 12 and listed at the school of Christ’s Hospital in Newgate Street. They probably spent their entire childhood in England with Frances Charlotte as their father had done from the age of ten.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ's_Hospital

Henry left England in 1857 with his father and traveled the Suez route through the Mediterranean and then overland to Suez where they boarded the SS Alma. His mother remained in England where she had Ethelreda, her penultimate child, nine months later. The two left London on the 10 March and arrived in Madras on the 24 April. The Indian Mutiny began in June. Two years later Emma Fanny arrived in Madras and was married in April 1859, Henry was 21 that same August. Their mother must have been back also as Richard was born in 1860 at Ooty.

Henry went to work in the coffee plantations in the Nigiris (Blue Hills) and ten years later in 1869 he married Mary Emily Ochterlony. A plaque to her uncle is on the other side of the entrance to St Stephens opposite to the William Henry plaque.
Their son James Henry was born three years later in 1872.


Mary was the daughter of James Ochterlony who gave his name to the estate that he opened on the south west slopes of the Nigiris in 1841 when he obtained a perpetual lease from the Raja of Nilambur at an annual rent of Rs 2,020. The coffee plantations were eventually named as ; Barham, Forest Hill, Gudalore Mullay, Guynd, Helen, Hope, Kelly, Lauriston, Montrose, Sandy Hills, Suffolk and Tulloos. These plantations which totaled about 4,000 acres were to be carved out of a total area of     21,000 acres. About 1880 the coffee was attacked by caterpillars and it was Henry who found the solution ten years later, he planted shade trees in the form of silver oaks and used a dressing with bone and saltpeter which kept the pests at bay. In 1877 Lord Lytton, the Viceroy of India opened the pulping house at Guynd.
Tea was first planted in 1874, The estates were Aratapara, Hope and New Hope covered 550 acres and a factory was built at New Hope. The Naduvattam tea estate of 120 acres opened in 1896.
There was a large Hindu temple on the Kelly estate with a large stone bull and at the Lauriston estate there was a fire walking temple where the Canarese hold their annual celebrations.

Henry seems to have had a reputation for being extremely good and caring with his labour force. He recruited staff from as far away as Mysore and after his death the planters built a monument at Pykara as a final tribute to him   

 

 


1869 Madras

Henry and Mary














  A silver plate was presented to Henry on his retirement inscribed ...     Presented to Henry Wapshare by the valley planters and           employees on his retirement from the OchterlonyValley 1877 –




If this is correct then Henry was only just over 40 when he retired. His obituary shows him to be a Major in the Invalids which was a force consisting of infirm and old people. James would have been 5 when Henry retired. Either he had become infirm or he had been elevated to a position of importance in the trust that was created.



OBITUARY   Henry Charles Frederick Wapshare -  Major Invalids    Assistant Estate Manager -       died 2 Feb 1900  age 62

 bd. Helen Estate graveyard.




PHOTO OF GRAVE


Link to    James Henry