Frances Charlotte

 
 


Frances, or ffrances as it was written, was born on 17 Aug 1781 and Christened in the cathedral on 2 Oct 1781. She was 3 when her father died. When her mother died in 1811, Frances was almost 30 and except Emma her other siblings were married or nearly married.

Then in 1821 William died; in 1823 Emma was married and in Dec 1824 Cooth Anna died leaving her five children all under 10 to be looked after by Frances who was then 43. It must have been some Christmas.

Of these children William Henry went into the Indian Civil Service in 1831, when he was 17 and Catherine Eleanor stayed close to Frances until she died.

In the Commercial Directory of the Salisbury Library there is listed under ‘Nobility, Gentry and Clergy’, a ‘Mrs.’ Wapshare of St. John Street. The date is 1830 and I wonder whether this was Miss Frances.

In the 1841 Census Frances and Catherine seem to have been in Berry Village, Berry Pomeroy, Totnes, Devon. Both were listed as having independent means but the other people living there all seem to be apprentices or agricultural workers. A holiday perhaps.

At some point she went to live at Eastleigh Lodge in Bishopstrow, this must have been after F Martin who lived there in 1837(see below). The Eastleigh Court is a large building and is now the Headquarters of the Wessex National Trust. In 1817 William had become the Vicar of Chittern St. Mary’s so Frances may have become familiar with the region.

In the 1851 Census, the year before she died, Frances was at Bishopstrow with Catherine. Also there were two of William Henry’s daughters from India but his 12 year old son Henry was at Christ’s Hospital in London. The head of household was a ‘Kerrish’.

Frances Charlotte is buried at Bishopstrow; she has a fine grave which is somewhat overgrown. She died in Warminster on 19 June 1852

In 1851 Frances lived in Eastleigh Lodge, and in 1844 William’s daughter in law Emma gave birth to her son Charles in Sutton Veny so perhaps she moved just before this...........

some notes on Eastleigh Lodge...
The farmhouse of this estate was perhaps that called in 1963 The Cottage, which has a brick front of the 18th century but is somewhat older at the back. By 1808 a larger brick house had been built in more extensive grounds nearby. (fn. 44) It was called Bury Cottage, and in 1822 was the home of William Temple, (fn. 45) who perhaps occupied it while Bishopstrow House was being rebuilt. In 1841 it was the home of F. D. Astley. (fn. 46) It was much added to later in the century, and in 1963 was used as a preparatory school. There was no house on the site of Eastleigh Court, which later became the chief house of the estate, in 1830. (fn. 47) In 1837 F. P. B. Martin lived in Eastleigh Lodge, no doubt recently built there. (fn. 48) By 1849 it had passed to the Astleys, (fn. 49) and, as Eastleigh Court, was sold with the lands to Capt. Southey in 1884. (fn. 50) Most of the large brick house in a plain Tudor style dates from after the sale, but some walling at the back, the outbuildings, and the gate piers are probably relics of the earlier house.


Eastleigh Court at Bishopstrow is now the Wessex Headquarters of the National Trust



 
quote:
donec quis purus pretium